
Well today is my birthday and so that I can spend my last year on THIS side of the hill reminiscing, my family bought me the entire third season of Gilligan's Island! Too Funny! (I think the complete 1st season is in a wrapped package on the table to be opened at my party tonight). It was my all time favorite show and would rush home from school and watch Channel 6 for the line up of My Three Sons, I Love Lucy, Family Affair, My Favorite Martian. Beverly Hillbillies and of course Gilligan. Then came The Brady Bunch, The Partridge Family and then my then new best favorite "The Walton's".
I worried putting my first disc of Gilligan in the player as I had such fond memories and didn't want to mess that up by discovering something through adult eyes. The first thing I thought was I didn't remember Ginger's clothes being so beautiful and vibrant. I just remembered one long evening gown with beads all over it. She seems to wear a new outfit every show but I'm loving the colors too. Then it hit me. That little TV set I sat in front of after school was a black and white! I never saw it in color! Talk about feeling old! And remember when Cinderella and the Wizard of Oz came on only once a year and you couldn't wait. No Beta, VHS, DVD's or Blue Ray! Once a year, that's it, ya snooze ya loose! It was the only time mom could get us to eat brussel sprouts were on those nights those very special shows came on.
But back to Gilligan...It was so innocent...well sort of, I forgot how voluptuous Ginger was not to mention full of herself. Do I really want my "I can't wait to be a teenager" daughter to have Ginger as a role model. A Barbie doll in real skin! In one episode Ginger did her Marilyn Monroe imitation singing "I want to be loved by you...boo boopy do!" Last night when Grace was in the bathroom brushing her teeth I hear her in there singing it complete with "boo booby do" No telling what expressions were happening in the mirror. I didn't dare look.
But here were a group of 7 VERY different people stranded, having to deal with one another and while the Skipper was always frustrated with Gilligan and the Thurston Howle thought of everything in terms of money...they really did care for one another. I hear tale of survival shows today and they sound like it's all pretty cut throat, save your own skin, to heck with helping someone else. Now we don't watch TV so I don't know for sure but we do watch two shows on Sunday AFV and Extreme Home Makeover but after Feb 17 those will be gone too. No need to buy the box, I have discovered that while EM has great stories in it my daughter's response is "We should send them our story (not sure what that would be) so we can get a new house instead of this old thing." THIS OLD THING??!!! The one we got to upgrade from? The one we are barely making the mortgage on since I quite work but we love it so we stay?! So my daughter is not learning to be content with the blessing she has (wonder where she got that, yes, He is convicting me) but feel we could do with out that show too and focus on the blessings we do have instead. And AFV is online so hey..who needs TV. The News? Nope, get the latest headlines on my opening news page online. And when I'm driving around and see a flag at half mast...I start asking around.
So here I am, still on this side of the hill for another year. Or as my dad puts it...when your 1, your done being 1, you're now working on 2. So if I use that logic I guess I am done with THIS side of the hill and can only hope that the next birthday I will be at the peak! After that...all bets are off!





2 comments:
Aawww! Happy, Happy birthday my friend! Enjoy those great videos. They sure don't make 'em like that anymore!! :)
I love the shows you mentioned. We have a collection of some of them. It's fun going back to the good ole' days sometimes. Happy Belated Birthday!
Post a Comment