Friday, March 13, 2009

What Do You Think?

Quote and question from: Joyfully Living for His Glory
"But this past year, as I try to pursue my lifelong dream of being a published writer, I have learned to lay down my idea of success and God is opening many new doors. He started with releasing me from homeschooling, which led me to write my first published clip on school choice!"

I ran across this quote several months ago. I couldn't even tell you where, when or who said it now. It just intrigued me so much that I copied it and saved it in my "to think about later" file.


What do you think?

My answer:
The first reaction was "What? RELEASE you from the privilege of teaching your children as though they are a shackle to you. Just so you could sit at your computer and pour out your soul to it instead!
But I then remember the difficulties I have. The days when that little yellow school bus looks really good! Taking on adoptive children so far behind and trying to catch them up is a huge challenge. If there were severe learning disabilities in the mix, I'm not sure my sanity would be in tact (and the jury is still out on that one anyway). I have to remember one thing...I want my children Heaven bound, not Harvard bound. My dearest friend and die hard advocate for home schooling ended up sending her youngest daughter to a Christian school because of their relationship. Her role as a teacher to this child, while succeeding with the older ones, just had fireworks and hatred from both of them. Sometimes it's ok to "release" for the sake of relationship and the purpose of His Glory.
We all have our seasons, mine happens to be home schooling through "mental"pause! Sometimes not a good mix, but God has not "released" me. I still see it as my privilege and pray for Him to fill in the gaps and erase my children's memory of my impatience and rantings. And then there are women who would not make very good mommies from jail, which is where they would end up if they did attempt home schooling. Then there's the child, perhaps he/she is gifted or has a learning disability that a particular school can ideally have them grow in or meet that need.
We each must hear from the Lord. We must go before Him in prayer, check our motivations, then ask Him to reveal HIS desire (for us and our children) and then surrender...for His Glory.

So - What do you think?

2 comments:

Sean and Lisa said...

Absolutely well said! So missed you my friend! Glad you are back!
I will say that I often pray for God to release me from homeschooling because dagnabit it is so hard this time around especially with their special needs but I will continue to plug away and like you, pray God divinely fills in all the gaps because I know there are many. :)
On the journey with you,
Lisa

Sherrie said...

I think that we have to trust God. Homeschooling is not the answer and neither is mom staying home. Christ is the answer and how that is manifest can be totally different in someone else's life then in ours. That said I'm passionate for both of the above but hopefully never think what I do can save my children only God can do that and He did that in Babylon just fine when it accomplished His purpose.