When I first saw her at the door last Saturday she was talking on the phone with someone telling them that I had arrived and had to go. She was trying to convince them saying "You know Tammy...your daughter!" I assumed it was my mom (her sister) but could hear the voice on the other end and it didn't sound like her. I realized she was not all there but seemed to answer my questions and know who I was. We spent about 4 hours together and usually she is very talkative and so theatrical but she would stare into space alot. I remember thinking she wasn't longed for this world. I could never imagine it would have only been a few days. She went down hill rapidly. They had gotten the results of her biopsies of some lesions appearing on her face and on Monday was told it was a very aggressive skin cancer. But I doubt even the doctors suspected less then a week. She passed in her sleep last night. Her children had gotten there yesterday and were so glad she went quickly and in no pain. They said they couldn't have scripted it any better as the way she would have wanted to go.
I was so blessed to spend a few hours with my Aunt Juan last Saturday.
Her husband, Bill, passed away 13 years ago and someone asked her yesterday if Bill had shown up yet and she said "No, not yet!"
Juan and Bill spent their last years together fishing! I mean ALL THE TIME. They had a thing for pelicans and Juan was sure that Bill after passing had come back as one. There was a Pelican that hung around her house and she was sure it was him.
After leaving her Saturday and going back to my parents who are right on the water I walked down to the shore and took this picture. Somehow I felt like it was Bill waiting for his sweet "Flossy Bell" as he called her. He also called her "Juan Louise". He called everyone by that name even the dog "Tootle Louise" He said there wasn't a name out there that didn't go with "Louise". He's right. Try it!
I will miss you, Juan and all your wonderful, dramatic stories. Oh, the life you led. Perhaps we will find some writings of all her adventures as I am sure it would make the NY Times best-seller list!





3 comments:
I'm so sorry for your loss! Though as you said, it sounds like it couldn't have happened any better. Thanks for sharing Auntie Juan's sweet story.
I'm sorry to hear about your Aunt.
Sounds like she led a great life though.
Post a Comment